The climbing on the Costa Blanca is all on limestone (hence Costa Blanca meaning White Coast). The crags range from single pitch, generously bolted sports routes to almost alpine sized mountain routes with natural gear. Some of the climbing is of true classic nature. Penon de Ifach, a thousand foot solid lump of rock sticks straight out of the sea and towers over Calpe; the beautiful valley of Sella where you can be surrounded by crisp limestone crags or the awesome Puig de Campana.
The 300m tower rising from the sea called the Penon offers superb multi-pitch climbing with both sports and traditional routes. The area offers good sports routes including the sea cliffs of Mascarat and Toix. At the 8 different crags in the Calpe area there are nearly 300 routes to choose from. Towards Benidorm the main crag is Sella, which has over 170 routes and offers everything from short easy routes to long multi-pitch traditional climbing. Puig Campana also offers superb long multi-pitch traditional climbing though the hour walk in does put some people off. There are 6 different crags with over 450 routes to choose from in this area.
Climbing Routes in the Calpe Area include:
- Sella - Probably THE classic sport climbing area in the whole of the Costa Blanca. A huge range of routes covering all grades and lengths.
- Penon de Ifach - What a classic mountain this is! An absolute must for the Costa Blanca climber.
- Toix - Easily accessible crags just above Calpe.
- Altea - Several smallish standalone crags just inland from Calpe and Toix
- Olta - A surprisingly under-developed crag considering its closeness to Calpe. Single-pitch sport climbing, high up, with fantastic views.
- Mascarat Gorge - A huge gorge just south of Calpe through which run many tunnels carrying all the main North-South roads.
- Echo Valley - A huge area of development in a remote and still largely unspoilt valley.
- Moraira Sea Cliffs - A largely undeveloped area of sea cliffs just North of Calpe with some climbing restrictions.
- Segaria - A true new routers paradise with plenty of scope for development at all grades from F3/VD up.
- Puig Campana - The Costa Blanca´s highest mountain and one of its longest trad routes.
For more information on climbing routes visit www.rockfax.com